Face masks have evolved into an unprecedented norm in our daily lives. Now that facial coverings are a safety requirement, our skin is subject to increased contact and new potential trouble. When breakouts and flare-ups arise – you might wonder why this happens, and what solutions can counteract these unique, undesirable skin issues.
A properly-fitted face mask can increase the temperature and humidity around our nose and mouth, creating an occlusive seal and stopping your skin from getting the oxygen it needs. This, in turn, traps bacteria and creates a perfect environment for it to spread. The combination of heat and sweat start to weaken your skin’s natural protective barrier, compromising your outer layer, so inflammation and breakouts begin. Here are a few ways to combat these issues when they may arise:
- First things first, wash your face. Using a gentle cleanser like Facial Lounge’s Gentle Facial Cleanser is necessary for rehabbing skin back to its normal, healthy state. If you require a deeper clean, our Youthful Glow Foaming Face Wash contains glycolic, salicylic and lactic acids, which work together to dissolve dead skin and bacteria buildup from deep within.
- No point in having a clean face if your face mask is dirty. If you’re using a fabric-based, multi-use face mask, be sure to wash it to avoid cross-contamination. Facial Lounge’s Pore Clarifying Cleanser is a blend of tea tree oil and licorice root that provides antibacterial properties and a deep clean without stripping or irritating the skin. This cleanser is also a perfect replacement for detergent with less-than-ideal ingredients that can irritate your skin and lead to breakouts.
- If you’re on the go, Facial Lounge’s Brightening Exfoliating Pads are an ideal exfoliating treatment with it’s blend of mandelic, salicylic and lactic acids that work to treat blackheads, scarring and resurface texture issues. If you are more sensitive, rinse off the product with cooler water after 5 minutes, or if you are on the acne-prone/oily spectrum, these pads are a great option as an overnight treatment. Alongside the exfoliating pads is Facial Lounge’s Purify My Skin Acne-Prone Tonic which is an antibacterial, pore purifying formula who’s combination of tea tree and AHA/BHA ingredients help minimize pores, dissolve excess oil and keep skin free of discomfort and visible redness. Both products work to help mitigate buildup and bumps.
- For those with acne-prone or oily skin, the main goal is creating a cleaner environment within the skin, so blemishes have less of a chance of appearing. If they do emerge, overnight spot-treating with a zinc or sulfur-based cream can help reduce redness and inflammation. Weekly skincare masques with these ingredients also help purify your skin as a preventative measure.
- For dry or sensitive skin, using a soothing moisturizer to calm the affected area is a must. Facial Lounge’s Sea Whip Gelle Masque is our blue “aloe of the sea” – very helpful for cooling and calming purposes. Also, our best-selling Feather-Light Miracle Moisturizer was formulated with hydrating ingredients and an array of reparative properties that help soothe and repair a disrupted skin barrier.
- If inflammation occurs, a combination of using a cold compress and blue LED light therapy is ideal. The light will help kill acne-causing bacteria and the cold compress will reduce the swelling and cools any irritation. If interested in purchasing a handheld LED light from Facial Lounge, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.